Our current "about" is under construction, but if you're a history buff, read on!
A brief history of St Stephen’s Church Warrandyte
August 1851, a Church Service was held in a tent of Messrs Michel and
Habberlin, who made the first Gold discovery in Victoria in the same year at
(Anderson’s Creek) Warrandyte.
In 1856 a
Church of England school was established at Anderson’s Creek. By 1865 the
population had increased and the need for a church caused the Government to
grant land in Stiggant St.
In 1869 the
Government Gazette announced “Warrandyte, site of church of England”. Until the
first church was built, services were held in the home of Henry Frencham.
In 1906 the
new church of St Stephen’s Warrandyte was opened.
In 1939 the
Church was all but destroyed by bushfire, including the adjoining hall. A new
church building was established in 1940 and a hall was added in 1955 and
extended in 1961.
In 1971 St Stephen’s Warrandyte with
Emmanuel Park Orchards became a new separate parish and the Vicarage was built.
A Memorial garden was started in 1978.
has a great history of lively CEBS and GFS groups, and many locals have special
memories of their weddings and baptisms in the little church.
church building is the result of extensions completed in 1991, which included
moving the Communion Table to the opposite end of the church and the
installation of the lovely clear windows behind it. The blue stained glass windows in the side vestibule were
installed in 1993.
- Rev. F. E. Lewin
- Rev. H. A. W. Bishop
- Rev. R. F. Adams
- Rev. D. A. Warner
- Rev. D. H. Chambers
- Rev. W. R. Featherston
- Rev. G. B. Avery
- Rev. Jeffrey A. Berger
- Rev. Russell S. Joyce
- Rev. Garry Gason
- Rev. Canon Alan Nichols
(2012-2013) - Rev. Megan Curlis-Gibson
Current - Rev. Maria Brand-Starkey